At Darin’s conlang workshop today, he gave us 8 sentences to translate into our conlangs. They are very simple ones, but keep in mind we did this in under 3 hours.
1. I fall./ I am falling.
2. You are standing./ You stand.
3. He sees the man.
4. The man is seen.
5. We speak languages.
6. This language is not written.
7. Three men see me.
8. Two men stand on the ground.
Here’s my translations in my new conlang, Koalia. (I did have plans for it before, but I only kept the name for it so it’s all new). They’re in IPA right now, because I didn’t really decide on a romanization yet.
1. rɛvi fɛ
2. kɔrivi zɛ
3. inævi ɔsi zɛ lɛn/ inævi ɔsi zɛlɛn
4. inævi ðɤn zɛ lɛn/ inævi ðɤn zɛlɛn
5. ærɔsɔ næ !ɔniʃ
6. ɔlivið miz ɛniʃ
7. inærɔ !ɔlɛn ʃi fɛ
8. ɔrizæ !ɔlɛn diʃ zɛrɔvi
*Koalia is actually !ɔalia in IPA, but I’ve romanized the click to a k. There is /k/ in Koalia, so I don’t know yet how this works out.
So, if you have a conlang (or conlangs), feel free to translate or even try to figure out how Koalia works! :)
This is lovely! So I’m going to take that as an invitation to make wild guesses. =D
Verb-first? inæ is the root for ‘see’, and I’m going to guess that they’re marked for number? (vi = one. -sɔ = large/indefinite?, -rɔ = three, -zæ = two, maybe?). (I love number marking on verbs though gosh)
!ɔniʃ is the plural of ɛniʃ (language); !ɔlɛn is the plural form of lɛn (man).
I am completely confused by the use of fɛ vs zɛ. Are they first person vs 3P+2P articles? Aspect information? Is zɛ a homonym?
-ð after the count morpheme negates the verb.
And then there’s a -vi on the end of zɛrɔvi so maybe I’m wrong about absolutely everything ahhh.
(& if I were going romanize ! to a letter, I’d move ! to q, but I do try very hard to use q so haha maybe don’t listen to me).
Sorry I didn’t see this for so long!! I’m almost never on this blog, as I have about 8 right now.
Koalia is VSO.
I’m keeping the k, because I plan to make a script that has the k and ! almost identical and yeah, gets into conworlding a bit.
The zɛ is a second person pronoun (you), but as a prefix is ‘the’.
ðɤn separates S and O, if unclear.
the -ð does negate, but only if the verb ends in a vowel. If it ends in a consonant, it is negated with -a. (I have a lot of things like that, I like different affixes based on vowels and consonants- all verb endings are like that)
zɛrɔvi is the noun ‘ground’, not a verb. Indeed, -vi/-ɔvi is the singular verb marking, -sɔ/ -ɔs is plural above 10, -zæ/ -ɔza is dual, and you were almost right with -rɔ/ -ɔr, it’s plural 3-10.
That was really, really good! :D Thanks for that!
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. –Benjamin Franklin
Treyll: lanatakat laninonie nikalorel lakika kuv nikat laninonie nikarel lanataka.
When I was very little and just learning to talk, I had to get a speech therapist because I’m a triplet and me and my sisters were creating our own language
WE WERE SPEAKING IN OUR OWN LANGUAGE
That’s really awesome, lots of twins do it. And, in fact, lots of linguists. I have 11 conlangs, or constructed languages. I have a tumblr about them but I rarely post on it.
lon etreyinas tyrurel yonokat tyrurelle. (Small sample of Treyll, has it’s own script and everything)
Of course, my conlangs are probably more developed than your language was, as mine are intentional and created by me when I was 15 to now (18), while yours was when you were really little.
Still, If you had any information on it at all it would really help me with my linguistics major and a paper I have to write. If not, that’s fine too.
- English: I love you
- Dutch: Ik hou van je.
- German: Ich liebe dich.
- Danish: Jeg elsker dig.
- Portuguese: Eu te amo
- Slovenian: Ljubim te
- Bollywood: Maiṁ tumasē pyāra karatā hūm̐
- Tumblr: FUCK YOU YOU FUCKING FUCK I HATE YOU
- Keymash: alskdfjcashbcnlasdjfan
- Harry Potter: Always
- Thornberry: BLARHAGARHHGARH
- Dean: Don't ever change.
- Fangirlish: JESUS FUCKING CHRIST LOOK AT YOU jasdhfifhss
- Hungarian: Szeretlek
- Persian: Doostet daram
- Czech: Miluju tě
- Turkish: Seni seviyorum
- Batman: NO LOVE. ONLY JUSTICE.
- Russian: Я тебя люблю (Ya tebya lyublyu)
- Night at the Roxbury: WHAT IS LOVE?! Baby don't hurt me...
- Italian: Ti amo~
- Nightwing: Touch my ass
- Tim Drake: Erm. Erm. Erm. Um. Erm. Erm. Hi.
- asexual: will there be wifi
- Korra: Look, I really like you and I think we were meant for each other!
- Persona 3 and 4: Level 10 social link right there
- Carly Rae Jepson: Hey I just met you and this is crazy but here's my number so call me maybe?
- Spanish: Te amo.
- Loki: You have heart.
- Adele: Never mind, I'll find someone like you
- Tony Stark: Give yourself 12 percent of the credit. . .
- Ace Attorney: Thanks to you, I am saddled with... unnecessary feelings.
- Homura: MADOKA-CHAN!!
- Toph: *PUNCHES YOU* That's how I show affection.
- Sokka: BOOMERANG!!
- Mai: I don't hate you.
- Zuko: Honor!!
- Captain Jack Harkness: Hi, I'm Captain Jack Harkness.
- Sherlock: You're an idiot.
- John Watson: I always say "I love you", but it's usually subtext
- Blaine Anderson: I lo- AND CUT!
- Spock: I have been emotionally compromised
- Ryan Murphy: MORE FINCHEL!
- Kurt Hummel: *sipping coffee**splutters*
- Taylor Swift: And that's the way I loved you! Breakin down and comin' undone, it's a roller coaster kinna rush and I never knew I could feel that much and that's the way I loved you.
- Rumplestiltskin: NOBODY CAN EVER LOVE ME!
- The Doctor: Rose Tyler... I--
- Thor: You give up this poisonous dream! You come home.
- Arthur: Merlin, you idiot!
- Steven Moffat: Make them suffer. That is how I show the emotion you humans refer to as 'love'.
- Daleks: EXTERMINATE!
- Captain Jack Sparrow: I'm cap'n Jack Sparrow, savvy?
- Loki: Sentiment
- Pepper: We were having 12% of a moment
- Hulk: HULK SMASH DAT ASS
- Odin: HUARGH
- Coulson: I watched you while you slept
- Hiddlestoner: I'm uncontrollably excited about you
- Steve Rogers: Mr. Stark...
- Rachel: I got off the plane.
- Welsh: Rwy'n dy garu di
- Sam Winchester: You are my brother, there is nothing in the world I wouldn't do for you
- Elena: It's always going to be stefan
- Kuroko: I will be the shadow of your light and make you the best player in Japan
- Sam Puckett: I never said 'I hate you'
- Tony: There was one more guy you pissed off... his name's Phil.
- James: Q
- Q: 007
- Pinhead: What is your pleasure?
- Scott Pilgrim: I'm in lesbians with you.
- Bug: Eep-opp-ork-ah-ah
- The Doctor: We had the best of times
- The Master: Get out of the way
- Les Mis: do you permit it?
- Phantom Phandom: Say you'll need me every waking moment.
- Eponine Thenardier: And do you know Monsieur Marius ? I believe I was a little in love with you.
- Augustus Waters: Okay?
- Hazel Grace Lancaster: Okay.
- Nerdfighters: You have a stupid face.
- Merlin: Dollophead
- Croatian: Volim te
- Arthur: Just hold me
- Arthur: Thank you
- Cas: Dean and I share a profound bond
- Sherlock: I'd be lost without my blogger!
- Phandom: you are better than toast
- Cas: Hello Dean
- Dean: I'd rather have you, cursed or not
- Harvey Specter: He goes, I go
- Mike Ross: Come on, I love you Harvey
- Donna Paulsen: I'm not apologizing for who I am
- Jessica Pearson: You will replace every one of those goddamn bran bars
- Louis Litt: You just got Litt Up!
- Rachel Zane: You think this is a year round tan?
- Peeta Mellark: Here have some burnt bread
- Authur: I want you to always be you
- Dean: Bitch
- Ashley Clements: Shut your stupid Dump Truck face
- Dean: I prayed to you Cas, every night!
- Will Grayson: my name is will grayson. and I appreciate you, tiny cooper!
- Sam: Jerk
- Damon Salvatore: I snapped your brothers neck because you wouldn't let me assault you
- Demi Lovato: You're giving me a heartattack
- Croatian: Jebi se.
- Peeta Mellark: Because...because...she came here with me.
- Hannibal Lecter: Hello, Will.
- Will Graham: Hello, Dr. Lecter.
- Harry Potter: She's got a nice skin
- John Watson: Are you wearing any pants?
- The Doctor: I...
- Castle: I got you some coffee
- Killian Jones aka Captain Hook: I am done with you.
- Sherlock: Goodbye John
- John: You're the best man, and the most human human being I've ever met. And no one can convince me you tole me a lie
- Natasha Romanoff: Cognitive recalibration.. I hit you really hard on the head.
- Clint Barton/Hawkeye : CAW CAW MOTHERFUCKER
- Treyll (I took the title to mean adding YOU language, aka conlang/s): aneyi(aelu, anao) kovukat manoi (mote, malu)